As with other niche services, the people that make up these organizations are connected in a lot of ways and have been for many decades.
Edwards Brothers Malloy would like to share an interesting story about its roots. The combination of Malloy Incorporated and Edwards Brothers Inc. is more of a reunion than a merger.
The Roots of Malloy Incorporated
In the early 1940’s, a man named Jim Malloy worked as a press manager in the Edwards Brothers printing facility in Ann Arbor.
In 1948 Jim left Edwards Brothers, along with Bert Cushing, to found Cushing-Malloy on North Main Street in Ann Arbor.
The year after Jim left Edwards Brothers, the company’s staff had swelled to 150 people. Edwards Brothers primary facility was located in down town Ann Arbor on John Street.
After ten years in business with Bert, Jim sold his interest in Cushing-Malloy to the Cushing family and left that company in 1958.
After opening for business, Jim and Dick both worked full-time for Malloy.
At that time there were less than a dozen other full time employees of the company. Malloy’s sales in its first full year of operation were $79,254.
In 1966 the company’s sales had climbed to just under $500,000.
In that year Herb Upton bought the company from Jim Malloy and the business still sits at the same site where it was built back in 1960 although it has expanded to over 180,000 square feet.
Since its inception, Malloy focused on being a leader in technological innovation. Malloy was the first book printer in the United States to install a Timson T32 web press in 1982.
Timson webs are now used by scores of book printers around the world. In 1994, Malloy was one of the first book manufacturers to adopt computer-to-plate technology as its primary process for producing plates.
In 1999, Malloy was a leader in providing its customers with online access to information on their print orders, including up-to-the minute data on the status of each of their titles in production.
Expansion of the Edwards Brothers Brand
In the decades after Jim Malloy’s departure from Edwards Brother, the company expanded at a rapid pace.
In 1979, Edwards Brothers acquired The Graphic Press, located just a few blocks from the Capitol in Raleigh, North Carolina which was moved to its current location in Lillington, N.C. in 1983.
After the turn of the millennium, the Edwards Brothers brand set up numerous digital print facilities throughout the U.S., Canada and the United Kingdom. Pioneered by John Edwards, these new operations focus on the production of ultra-short run lengths of 1 to 750 copies.
The Digital Book Centers offer both case and perfect bound titles using traditional book paper and cover materials.
Combined with its three offset manufacturing facilities, Edwards Brothers digital centers form the nexus of a growing distributed print program that allows customers to print and ship closer to final destination.
Now in 2012, the Malloy name is once again affiliated with Edwards Brothers Inc. The new company, Edwards Brothers Malloy, is a unique product of the paths that key people took in history.
Despite many twists and turns, superior customer service has remained the hallmark of these two businesses.
While innovation, investment in new technology, and creative partnerships have played important roles in continued success, it is the people who have made the greatest contribution.
Edwards Brothers Malloy combines global print solutions with cutting edge printing technology and enhanced web based tools for publishers and content creators.
As one united front, Edwards Brothers Malloy begins a new chapter in history as the 6th largest book manufacturer in North America.