- Steve Piersanti, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.
* Please note: Edwards Brothers Malloy is currently having audits performed in order to offer certifications under our new unified company. These procedures should be completed by the end of November 2012. If you have any questions about which certification logos to put in your books, please contact your sales or customer service representative.
Edwards Brothers Malloy is pleased to offer our customers paper sourced from certified forests. These include papers with PEFC, FSC and SFI certifications. We have earned both Forest Stewardship CouncilTM (FSC®) Certified Chain of Custody and Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) as well as Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC®)program certifications. These certification programs were created to ensure that practices for harvesting wood are sustainable and do not deplete the natural resources contained in our forests. The goals of these programs are similar and their standards contain many common elements: protection of endangered species, wildlife, soil quality, and water quality. These programs however have different origins and they emphasize different aspects of forest management:
Getting Your Books Certified
Both FSC and SFI require the printer to take responsibility for ensuring that their logos are placed only in titles that are made with papers qualifying for their certifications. Therefore, when you decide you would like to display a CoC logo in your book, the following steps must be taken to comply with the guidelines laid out by both organizations:
- If you have a preference for certification process (SFI or FSC), you will take that into account in selecting your paper.
- You will choose the size, color, and format of the logo you wish to use from the options available on our website.
- You will decide whether you want the logo displayed in the text, on the cover, or both. Note: for FSC certification, the logo can appear only once in the book, either in the text or on the cover but not both.
- You will go to the Edwards Brothers Malloy website and copy a “For Position Only” (FPO) logo and place it in your text and/or cover files in the exact location(s) you want the logo displayed. (FSC and SFI stipulate that the printer make the final placement of the logo in the book.)
- Edwards Brothers Malloy will replace the FPO logo(s) with actual versions of the appropriate logo in your files, in the size, color, and format you selected.
- If your files do not contain the FPO and Edwards Brothers Malloy must make the placement, there will be a nominal charge.
- For FSC certified titles, Edwards Brothers Malloy will send a proof of the logo to the certifying agency for their approval.
- Edwards Brothers Malloy will ensure the CoC certification requirements are met on the current printing and any future reprints of your title.
- If, in the future, changes occur in the certification status of the paper you selected, Edwards Brothers Malloy will notify you and work with you to make adjustments accordingly. Such a change could occur if the mill that supplies the paper drops their certification status or switches from one certification system to another.
- If, at some point in the future, you want Edwards Brothers Malloy to return the files for your title to you, we will need to remove the logo(s) from your files per the requirements of FSC and SFI.
Your Edwards Brothers Malloy Customer Service Representative can assist you with any of these steps if needed.