- Jo Ann Butler, Neverest Press
At Edwards Brothers Malloy, we are committed environmental stewards. We recognize and embrace our responsibility to protect our environment. We operate our business in a manner that not only minimizes any potential negative impact we have on our natural surroundings but seeks to improve the world we all live in. Recycled or certified paper is used in many of the print jobs that we produce.
As an environmentally and socially responsible corporate partner, Edwards Brothers Malloy continues to implement innovative and balanced manufacturing solutions including CTP technology, increased use of soy and vegetable based inks, forest-friendly papers and other eco-friendly printing protocols.
We divide our environmental improvement efforts into three elements – product, process, and envelope – in accordance with how most environmental compliance organizations compare and evaluate the environmental strengths of a company like Edwards Brothers Malloy. When entities like ISO or Sustainable Green Printing, perform a certification review they focus on these three areas:
Product involves the materials that the product is made of, in our case, the books we manufacture.
- We seek to provide our customers with a selection of text and cover papers derived from sustainable sources that are harvested responsibly.
- We stock recycled papers.
- We have FSC and SFI Chain-of-Custody certification.
- We stock text and cover papers that are SFI and FSC certified.
- We use soy and vegetable oil-based inks.
- We use water-based inks.
- The spot color inks we use in our cover pressroom are zero VOC inks.
- We send proofs as soft copies whenever possible, reducing the materials and energy utilized to create proofs and the energy needed for transporting hard copy proofs to customers.
- We offer a Digital Short Run product which creates less paper waste than standard offset.
Process refers to all efforts to make our manufacturing processes more environmentally friendly.
- We recycle our inks.
- We recycle our solvents.
- We recycle our paper waste.
- We recycle our aluminum plates.
- We recycle other manufacturing by-products such as: tissue, corrugated, drill dots, scrap wood, paper cores, electronic parts, copper, batteries, stretch wrap, film, and much more.
- We run our dryers at lower temperatures.
- We run non-heatset when possible.
- We eliminated film use and processing from our workflow through computer-to-plate systems.
- We eliminated plate processing in our digital short run workflow.
- Our new plate processors (offset workflow) reduce consumption of both water and processing chemicals.
- We store customer files on hard drives, eliminating the creation of CD’s or DVD’s.
- We no longer require laser copy, which reduces material usage, energy required to create laser copy, and energy used to transport laser copy to Malloy.
- We have a comprehensive Preventative Maintenance System in place throughout manufacturing to ensure our equipment is operating at maximum energy efficiency.
- We train employees in the proper handling of inks, solvents and other chemicals to minimize waste and exposure. This includes procedures to minimize fugitive emissions by properly covering, sealing and storing used containers of materials that contain VOCs.
Envelope encompasses “everything else” we do to minimize our impact on the environment.
- Energy efficient lighting is used through-out some facilities (reference our gas and electric provider, DTE, and the program we took part in to make progress in this area).
- We have installed occupancy sensors throughout the same facilities to more effectively control energy usage for lighting.
- We have installed programmable thermostats throughout the facility to reduce energy usage.
- We have earned a designation as a Michigan Great Printer in recognition of our commitment to environmental stewardship and the principles of pollution prevention in the printing industry.
- We have earned a designation as a Waste Knot Partner in recognition of our proven track record in three areas of waste management: waste reducing business practices, operation of a strong recycling program, and the use of products with recycled content.
- We have our process wastewater monitored by an independent third party to ensure we meet state and local standards.
- We provide financial support to the Legacy Land Conservancy, a local organization dedicated to the preservation of open space.
- We provide financial support on a global basis to the Nature Conservancy’s Plant a Billion Trees program.